Indigenous Expressions: A Student Art Show

 

Indigenous Expressions is an annual temporary exhibit that features art by Native American students from Owyhee Combined School, located in the Duck Valley Indian Reservation, Owyhee, Nevada.

The Duck Valley Indian Reservation is in both Nevada and Idaho, and is occupied by descendants of the Western Shoshone and Northern Paiute tribes.

“Resilience and Perseverance: A Student Art show” runs annually from the end of May thru August. 2024’s exhibit includes 27 paintings and 35 fired pottery pieces by Owyhee junior high and high school students.

Kit Julianto, art instructor at the school, worked closely with California Trail Interpretive Center staff to create the exhibit.

Paintings are sold in the Trail Center’s gift shop with 85% of the sale price going directly back to the artists. The remaining 15% offsets staffing, art supplies, and signage costs for the exhibit. Southern Nevada Conservancy, a Trail Center partner, organizes the exhibit as well as supplies the students with canvases, clay, and art supplies.

 

Start typing and press Enter to search